Who doesn’t love a sugar cookie? These gluten free delights are easily made dairy and soy free with the use of a coconut oil based shortening. A heavenly cookie – wonderful plain or decorated to your liking! – kids will be just as happy to make them as eat them!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- CREAM TOGETHER in a large bowl: ½ cup shortening (We use this one – it’s dairy-free, soy-free, and vegan) 1 ⅓ cup sugar 3 TBSP light-flavored oil (we use this one)
- ADD: 1 extra large egg (or 2 small eggs) 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat until creamy. Then ADD: 2 ½ cups Little Aussie GF Flour (get it here) 1 ½ tsp salt ¾ tsp baking powder ¾ tsp guar gum (this lends greater binding & elasticity to dough)
- Mix until well blended. Dough should be soft. >> If the dough seems stiff, add 1-2 TBSPs of water and mix.
- Use a teaspoon or cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This will make nice circular cookies. OR Roll the dough on a clean, floured surface (to keep the dough from sticking) to a ¼ inch thickness. Cut into shapes! We use these cookie cutters to make star shapes. They also come in flowers and hearts!
- Scoop or place cookies on a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain for decorating later with icing.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until edges brown slightly. Remove and cool.
Check out our frosting and glaze recipes to expand your decorating (and flavor!) possibilities.
Don’t feel like making them yourself? Let us do it for you! Order cookies to your heart’s desire on our website here!