An older style cake, popular from the late 1800s, and hence the total lack of regard for the marketability of its name. It was named for the acid and alkali reaction of Cocoa and Buttermilk of the day that created a dark red/brown (Ox blood red) color in the cake.
The Recipe: yields 2-9″ round pans or 1-9″x 13″ square pan
This version of the cake has been modified from the original recipe to be gluten and dairy free. And oh, I almost forgot, no Oxen were harmed in the production of this cake. (Vegetarian friendly, not Vegan)
For a dairy free version, you’ll need to create a non-dairy buttermilk substitute:
1. Add 1 Tbs vinegar/lemon juice to 1 cup of coconut cream, mix well, and let stand 15 minutes – until curdling occurs.
2. In a heat-resistance bowl, mix 1 tsp dry instant coffee, 1 cup cocoa, and 1 Tbs vanilla essence into 1 cup of hot water. Leave to cool.
3. In large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp guar gum, and 3/4 cups Earth Balance (our preferred vegan margarine – butter may be used instead if dairy is tolerated). Cream together well.
4. To the butter-sugar mixture, add one at a time: 4 medium eggs, beating well after each addition. Blend with this, the 1 cup of buttermilk (or non-dairy substitute created in step #1),
5. Combine the cool cocoa mixture to the butter-sugar-eggs, and beat till smooth.
6. Add 1 Tbs baking soda and 2 cups of All-Purpose gluten free flour (our own Little Aussie blend recommended!), and beat mixture till smooth
7. Pour batter into pre-greased cake pan. Will fit either: 2 round 9″ pans, or 1 square 9″ x 13″
8. Bake in oven pre-heated to 350°F until a test toothpick comes out clean.
- round pans: 30 – 35 minutes
- square pan: 35 – 40 minutes
9. Cool and turn out to rack
Top this with our decadent Chocolate Icing Glaze, and you’ll be the toast of the town with this cake.
Cook’s Note on Storage: unglazed cake stores well frozen for at least 1 month.
From our kitchen to yours, Enjoy!!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!