Ah, French Toast. So sophisticated. So scrumptious. So simple! You didn’t expect that last one, did you? I didn’t expect French Toast to be as simple as it is, either! But after many years of epicurean evolution, this treat has really become an art form.
Also known as eggy bread (mostly in England–I’ve got to respect my heritage), French Toast truly is the classic culinary creation. It was first mentioned in the 4th Century Roman Cookbook, the Apicius (of which you can actually download a copy of the original here). The first recipe was heavy on the milk and light on the eggs. It was probably a bit soggy, as well. I think a couple thousand years of tweaking the recipe has definitely improved it. The modern version is light and fluffy, with a perfect crispy crust and just the right hint of cinnamon and sweet. Our version is also quite allergy friendly–free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nuts! But don’t let that fool you–it is still one of the best breakfast treats in history!
- 1 gluten free bun per person (get them here)
- 2 eggs per bun
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Powdered Sugar (Corn Free)
- Golden Syrup (recipe here)
- Your Favorite Fruit
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cut each bun into thin slices, about 6-8 depending on your preference.
- Crack the eggs in to a large bowl.
- Holding the bowl at an angle, whip the eggs with a fork until fluffy.
- Place the bun slices in the whipped eggs.
- Soak for one minute. Flip and soak the other side for one minute.
- Place the soaked slices in the preheated pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Arrange the fried slices on a plate.
- Cover with a generous helping of golden syrup.
- Sprinkle with plenty of cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Garnish with your favorite fresh fruit.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Don’t want to make it yourself? Stop by our cafe every Sunday for Brunch. We’ll have plenty of fresh french toast and tons of other gluten-free breakfast goodies!
The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe is a 100% gluten free establishment located in San Antonio, TX with gluten free products available for shipping nationwide. Founded in 2006 and dedicated to creating excellent allergy friendly food without compromising quality, flavor, or taste, we are now home to the best gluten free on the planet! Join us at our restaurant at 3610 Avenue B. in San Antonio, TX, or order from our website for delivery nationwide. For the latest news and deals, follow us!